Saturday, November 21, 2009

Wrote an implementation today of John Conway's Game of Life with openGL for the display. It is pretty cool Right now it uses a simple flat board. I want to add the option to choice a toroidal board. Also would be cool if that board could also be displayed as a torus and the viewpoint in space could be navigated with the mouse. That however will be much more difficult; I am going to need much more graphics programming experience before that takes place. Though this is pretty cool. A vast improvement compared to the one I wrote back in high school that used ASCII art to display the state of the board and the such. Think this one might even be shorter. Wish I still had the code somewhere from my old version. I know I had printed out the source way back when, but I doubt it is still around. Have a bunch of things I want to do to enhance this though. Everything from the data structure (using a simple set of 2x 2D arrays right now), graphics, options, and add some openMP segments as well to utilize multicore processors. Not that it really needs to go faster. I had to add in a 'do nothing' type function to slow it down a bit so that it is a bit less of a blur on the screen. I want to do something better with that though. So the original idea of using this as a practice project for CUDA is sort of being scrapped. Can't even imagine the size board I would need to require that much multithreaded performance.

No comments: