Monday, September 14, 2009

VLF

Last night I decided to try to fix the low frequency reciever I built a while ago that wasn't working quite right. I rebuilt the whole thing on a smaller experiment board, and mounted it inside of a mint tin. Then I realized that I used a 160 microhenry choke instead of a 160 millihenry choke. That might explain why it isn't recieving anything, the choke is filtering out everything. Will have to pick up an audio transformer to use in place of the choke when I get a few dollars. That will take care of the issue I think. Then it should work well and can pick up some interesting signals.

Hopefully I can find an air dielectric variable capacitor in trees random box of parts. Want to get an HF reciever built before we go on a DXpedition. Should be fun.

No comments: